20093 William Webster
During the 1870’s, Alexandra Hall was a meeting place of small groups of Blackheath residents, interested in cultural matters. There was growing awarenesss of a lack of proper facilities to meet the growing enthusiasm for art, music and the theatre.
William Webster was a leading light and he became a great benefactor to Blackheath, being almost solely responsible for the establishment of the Blackheath Conservatoire of Music, the Blackheath Art School, the Art Club and the erection of the Blackheath Concert Hall.
All four owed their origins to Webster and the meetings at the Alexandra Hall in the 1870s.