000646 Blackheath Grove
Wesleyan Methodist Church, c1864/65.
Wesleyan Methodism has its origins in Blackheath since John Wesley (1703-1791) and George Whitefield ( (1714-1770) preached open-air sermons on the Heath. The foundation stone of the new chapel was laid on 14 Oct 1863 as they sought a move from the chapel behind Nos 62-64 Tranquil Vale.
The chapel changed the appearance of the Village as the tower and spire dominated every aspect.
It was the principal victim of the V2 on March 8 1945.
Category:Architecture and Structures
Keywords:1864, BS, Blurred, High Quality, Unknown Copyright, Unknown photographer, V2, Wesleyan Church, chapel, war