000009 Blackheath Proprietary School
Blackheath Proprietary School 1860.
In 1848 the 25 year old Revd Edward John Selwyn took over headmaster. The school at that time had 48 pupils; when he resigned in 1864 it had 275 boys and 15 masters.
The Prop turned out large numbers of pupils who achieved success in diverse professions and fields - future bishops, generals, members of Parliament, civil servants, academics soldiers. Two were awarded the Victoria Cross.
It was also pre-eminent in two sports - football (rugby) and hockey. In 1862 the Blackheath Football Club was founded by old boys.
Category:Architecture and Structures
Keywords:In Focus, Low Contrast, High Quality, Windows, Sketch/painting/engraving, Lee Road, 1860s, Unknown Copyright, Arches