One of the oldest (although much altered) buildings in the Village. John Rocque's survey of 1741-46 shows a building of roughly the same size as the present building on the present site.
By the 1840s the Crown was a Barclay Perkins pub, selling bottled ales and describing itself as a stout warehouse. It was a staging post for the many horse buses which took Blackheathans to the City each day.
In March 1965 the interior of the building was badly damaged by fire resulting in changes but the outside remained much the same as before the fire.