Created 23-Feb-16
0 photos

See Chapter 7: Frederick's Place in Neil Rhind's "Blackheath Village & Environs, 1790-1990" for important historical background.

No 16 Barclays Bank; No 18 Cook and Dood Lewis; No 20 McColls

This part of the Village has always been its heart and by the C17th was marked by a footbridge and some form of dwelling. It was the meeting point of a number of important estate and parish boundaries.

John Evelyn's Diary reports that Colonel Thomas Blunt made his own wine from grapes grown in the area "now covered almost exactly by Wemyss Road, Blackheath Grove, the railway line and the ground by and behind Nos 1-13 Blackheath Village" (Neil Rhind)
This gallery is empty.

Categories & Keywords
Category:Architecture and Structures
Subcategory:Buildings
Subcategory Detail:
Keywords:Barclays, Burnside, Cook, Dodd, Lewis, McColl, North Kent, grapes