Created 23-Feb-16
0 photos

The history of this part of the village is described in Ch 9. of "Blackheath Village and Environs" written by Neil Rhind.

The present appearance of the west side of Tranquil Vale was established by 1849. Tranquil Vale as a street name was not imposed until 1886 and there were further changes in 1929. Nos 3-21 originally formed Nos 1-9 Spencer Place. The Spencer Place sign can still be seen above the Tranquil Vale sign on No.3 The Village Delicatessen.

The Railway Tavern was No 1 Tranquil Vale in 1885, its use lapsed and the number given to Blackheath Railway Station. In 1975 it was given to Martin House, a new building erected by the Blackheath Preservation Trust on the site of the old Blackheath Literary Institution.

Nos 3-9 Tranquil Vale

Built in 1845 and 1846, they were damaged in the last war. In 1950, the Blackheath Preservation Trust acquired the freehold and restored the building, following as far as sensible, the appearance as shown in old photographs.
This gallery is empty.

Categories & Keywords
Category:Architecture and Structures
Subcategory:Buildings
Subcategory Detail:
Keywords:Blacks, Delicatessen, Lambert, Marshall, Starbucks, Stitches and Daughters, Tranquil, Triggs, Triggs, Vale, Whittaker, black, bookshop, carriage, cheesemongers, fenners, horse and carriage, morleys, music, opticians, outfitters, pianos, porkman, raggity anns, sun bo